Change of Scenery

Wherever you go, there you are. I learned that one from A Very Brady Movie, and I guess it's stayed with me. So here I am, in Endwell (or is it Endicott?), New York. The snow has fallen from the branches of the many trees that surround the amazing midcentury home I'm so lucky to be occupying, so there's more of a winter drab feel outside, less of the wonderland panorama I'd been admiring a couple days ago. I watched some of White Christmas last night, and was inspired to do a little online research on legendary costume designer Edith Head. Apparently she had graced the public with some fashion advice in book form years ago, which I couldn't resist reading a few tips from in an outdated post on some magazine's website.

She advised to dress for the life you have, not the life you want. Now, this is the opposite of the advice you get about dressing at work (for the job you want, not the one you have). Like, don't buy a million sundresses when you actually work in a school (I'm looking at you...me). She warned against creating a formless wardrobe, and said to resist the urge to buy the things you crave, and rather to spend your money on pieces that actually suit your life. Good advice.

Which led me to think about my life. Not only did I begin to step into the bottomless pit of WHAT AM I DOING WHY DO I HAVE SO MANY DRESSES AM I A WRITER OR A TEACHER OR SOME OTHER UNTAPPED PERFORMANCE GENIUS?!?!?!; I also began to reflect on how much more motivated I was to push aside my creative inclinations when I was supporting myself in a foreign country. It's much easier to hear the muse calling when you're in a beautiful house where you don't need to pay rent.

 So I guess that's some food for thought. Now, for the eye candy:
Can you find the box of Walker's shortbreads?
Find the squirrel!! (Kidding...?)
Just more snowy beauty. Good to be back up north.

Summer flashback! Can you find me in this still from The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel?

Comments

Popular Posts