Crazy-Making Machinery

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." -Albert Einstein

This quotation seems pretty valid. I mean, Einstein: he was smart. But, computers...what the fuck? My internet connection at work has, literally, driven me insane.

When I turn on the computer at my desk in the morning, I try to get the internet to work, or go to a certain website (this one, for instance), and the site appears- for a second. Then it blinks out, reappears, and then there's be some bullshit error and the page vanishes. Over and over again. Leading me to do the same thing, over and over again, and expect different results. Until, finally, the internet works.

How do I get it to work? By doing the same thing, over and over again. (Or maybe just waiting...) But it is maddening! How am I to know which time it will work? There's no method to it at all; I just try repeatedly until it decides to correct itself. It's like gambling without all the fun of addiction.

This is only one of many trials that have led me to believe that computer technology is capable of enraging individuals in ways that only a machine can. There's no remorse, no reasoning, just cold, robotic frustration games.

I may fall particularly victim to this brand of annoyance due to my own lack of patience and understanding when it comes to new technology. My solution for most computer problems is: click repeatedly. But I don't care! I don't want to be friends with my computer- or maybe I do, but I don't want to work for the friendship. Why should I? Computer is here to serve me.

(I'm all smug now, but computer has all of these words inside of it. And when the day of reckoning comes, I could just see it now...the robot army asking me if I recall writing a certain blog...me, quaking with fear....laser beams...puppies...what?)

Comments

Popular Posts